Local veterinarians are seeing cases in blue green algae poisoning in dogs. The results are fatal, taking as little as a few hours of drinking infected lake water to cause seizures. Blue green algae is most commonly found in smaller lakes or stagnant water, but recently has been found in larger lakes. Usually it can be spotted on the surface of the water, looking like pea soup or spilled green paint, but in larger lakes it’s not as visible. Due to unusual weather it is accumulating earlier in the year, normally developing in the hotter and sunnier month of August. They warn to keep an eye on dogs swimming and drinking out of lake water, encouraging pet owners to have a clean water source on hand for pets. For more information on blue-green algae poisoning head to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.